Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Saying Goodbye to Salt and Seasoning Salt: Three Cheers For Healthy Changes


Three Cheers For Healthy Changes, Pass The Bubbly!



Seasoning salt and salt are known to enhance flavor. But the truth is they cover and disguise the taste of meats and other foods that have a poor flavor. Just last month I ran out of my Johnny's Season salt. I have been a heavy Johnny's girl for at least a decade. Whether cooking Senegalese yassa or smoked ribs Johnny's has been my right hand man. It has MSG and mostly salt with other seasonings and preservatives. It's additives are addictive. Or so it seems because seasoning salt is something that you get used to putting on  meat and other over cooked bland items to make them tasty. I put it on vegetables, in pots of greens, and on red, white and black beans, gumbo, soup, spaghetti and allover foods I cooked for other people such as eggs and beef burgers. Johnny's is made in the Northwest and has more MSG and better flavor to me than Lawry's. Sometimes I would remember my Gramma in St.Louis who only used salt & pepper  to season her fried chicken flour. I couldn't  figure out how she did it except that she used a cast iron pot and got the Crisco so hot. Well I didn't have that old type pot, I needed Johnny's..I least that how I felt all these years.




 Change is Good and Sometimes Unplanned
A few weeks ago I shook out the bottom contents of a large jar of seasoning salt....
When I was at the grocery store the next day, I decided out of nowhere not to replace it. But maybe I had been thinking about it in  my subconscious mind for a while. Over the past year  I noticed Johnny's was sold in extra large containers in the Black stores in the Black neighborhoods, I had been noticing the labeling was starting to look cheap and overly mass produced. The product I loved so much seemed more like malt liquor, Newport's and other items that are dominant in certain stores. Unhealthy. A bad choice. I struggled without coffee on some mornings when I had ran out .But I would always replace my seasoning salt if I even got close to running out, How had it become so important to me and my cooking? Maybe, just maybe it was just a bad habit. 

Well it has been three weeks and I have cooked curry, stew, breakfasts, lunch and dinners with no Seasoning salt, no salt and no added MSG. When I used a broth it was the low sodium broth .

Here is what I am using instead, on my food or on the side for flavor enhancement. I am much happier and healthier already. Let's just say I decided to stop sprinkling death on my food. Food actually tastes so much better. And if it doesn't taste good then I take that as a hint I should not be eating it. Salt adds a punch to food but also takes away the taste. Salt less cooking is enhanced by slow cooking, allowing flavors to mellow and become savory. And of course fresh vegetables and salads are generally enjoyed without adding salt or seasoning salt. Salt free you will also eat less, as your body will signal you when you are full and your mouth will not be craving another bite as it does with salty, MSG spikes foods. Eat less, save money!
Ginger
Brown Sugar

Dried Peppers


Sliced avacado go with every dish
Cilantro


Lime is Alkaline, while lemon is Acidic


More Peppers, Try a Variety and dry your own
Curry



Basil Fresh add it Raw or cook it in

Black Pepper



Peace and Blessings From Rose Quartz
Happy "New Year" 
Keep it Seasoned Nice, Let thangs marinate and thank God for the subconscious mind! You do not always have to stress or plan healthy changes..just pay attention to the conversation between your mind and your body...soon you will follow your heart 



No comments:

Post a Comment